Wednesday, September 15, 2004

What's In Your Melody?

I'm sure we're all familiar with the popular ad slogan "What's in your wallet?". Instead I ask what's in your melody? I've had this hymn running through my head all day, and it has caused me to ask what the melody and song of my life is made up of.

Does the mention of my name bring thoughts of joy and laughter right away? Or of pain and heartache? Of friendship, caring, or consideration? Or of selfishness and immaturity? Does my life glorify God? Do others see Christ in me? Is the melody of my life made up of selfishness, or of Jesus Christ?

Those are some thoughts I've been pondering as I've been humming this song all day. I was pretty miserable yesterday, but the nap definitely helped. I'm taking a guess that I had the beginnings of a migraine or something to that effect. It rained all day yesterday and all last night, but we saw some sunshine this morning. It's looking like more storms this evening, and the wind would blow little people away. But in the wind I feel the promise of cool weather, of good times with good friends. The smell of fall is in the air, and I feel the promise of the colors of fall, the reds and greens and golds, of snowball fights, sliding on the ice and snow, twinkle snow, the clean fresh feeling of cold air as you step outside, Christmas carols new and old, twinkle lights, Christmas candles, and sugar cookies. In case you don't know, I love this time of year, and I love Christmas. I've always loved giving gifts, and the emotions behind them. I love showing people I care about just how much I care. College students tend to be short on money though, so creativity is coming to the forfront where gifts are concerned.

All of this comes back to the melody that is in my heart. As the winter and Christmas season is promising to quickly be knocking at our doorsteps, and at the door of our hearts, what is our focus with that? Are we consumed with ourselves, or is the melody of our hearts one of a servant? What makes up my life?

That is the primary thought that is challenging me right now.
What makes up my life?
Am I self-consumed, or do I give all of me to Christ, who in turn shares me with others?

"Lord, I pray that you continually become the focus of my life. That I shield my heart from the pains and cares of this world that seek to draw me away from you. I pray that the melody of my heart will be beautiful to those that hear it. I pray that your love and compassion are what is heard from my life. May the things that make up my life all be immersed in you and your love."

No comments: