Wednesday, September 29, 2004

What Is Average?

There's something in my conscience and my pride that won't let me go more than a day without posting something new. Even if I don't have anything really great to say, I must post! If for no other reason than to make sure that little label called "Average posts per week" doesn't go any lower. Yeah, I know, it's pretty pitiful.

Which in my mind where one thought quickly distracts me to another, I'm left wondering who gets to decide what average is? Obviously our mathematicians get to go with Archimedes on this one and determine the mathematical average. But what's average in the real world? And no, math is not the real world. I understand that we need math to survive but if you live in a world of only numbers, you need to go for a run or something else that will make you gasp for air.
Anyway, I digress from running.

So what's average? I would like to propose that there is a so called "average" that the world gives us. However, I think we should break that concept. Let's not simply fit in, Let's be fools for Christ. Even the church gives us what is considered "average" or "normal". I propose that we should break those concepts as well. The last thing I want in my life is to be labeled as an "average" Christian. I don't wish to do anything dishonor the name of Christ, so I'm not talking extreme Christianity that does not follow Biblical commandments. No, what I'm saying is that God calls us to an unordinary Christianity. We have become ok with the world. Paul clearly states in scripture that if we are truely following Christ as we are commanded we will be hated by the world. The world will see us as foolish. We are to be fools for Christ. Not to act foolishly, but to be fools in the world's eyes.

If I am ever seen as "normal" or "average" in Christ's eyes, I fear I will be seen as a child not seeking to live an called apart life for Him. I was so blessed by reading Tracy's post recently. She entitles it "Can't Get No Satisfaction". First of all, Trace, I love you. You have grown so much and I've gotten to see it. You bless me in so many ways. Thanks so much for your great "package"! I so needed that alligator picture and all the monkey stickers!
Back to her post though. We must find our "something real" in Christ. Only in Him is our satisfaction found, and we will only be totally and truely satisfied in heaven.

Until then however, let's not be average. Oh I don't mean that you have to dye your hair or grow 2 more inches. No, let's make Jesus Christ proud of us. May He not be ashamed to call us His children. If we are complacent today, or satisfied, may we be filled with a hunger and burn with a fire that can never be quenched. May we never be content to be labeled as "average".

No comments: