Monday, September 20, 2004

Rings And Things

It would seem prudent to take advantage of having your attention on my last post and continue posting on hope, life, death, etc.. but I'm not going to. Ha! Gotchya! Mwahahaha...*evil laugh*
But in all seriousness, I'm going to be somewhat sentimental and silly.

I have decided that as much as I don't like being one of only 20-30 people (or at least it feels like this few) on campus who don't go home for the weekend, I do like weekends here. As I've already said, I love Saturday morning breakfasts but better than that I love Sunday nights. About the time we get home from church, roughly 7:30-8pm or so, people start coming back from their homes. It's like a huge party as all your floormates converge at once. It's always very loud and just lots of energy. Now it would makes sense that everyone would be somewhat sad and depressed to be starting another long week of classes, but in reality that's not the predominant emotion. People are talking about their weekends and just generally enjoying having 50 people to talk to.

Last night was no exception. I was already somewhat wound up and restless because after church Jake and Chadd decided they needed to drive my car so we cruised around for awhile. They also taught me to do perfect RPM shifting. Not something I'm going to try very often mind you because I value my transmission, but definitely useful knowledge to have. Anyway, we had tons of fun and so I was fairly wound up. Katie and I were walking down the hall to head to the D.P. (Dating Parlor, yes I know, it's really funny) when my floor leader Bekah gets back from her day spent with her family and her boyfriend. She and her boyfriend (Dustin) were going on a date that afternoon to this special park. So Bekah automatically hugs me and I asked how her date was. As she's hugging me she says "it was great!". Being the intuitive girl that I am I automatically realize that this was a little more than just a normal "great date". As I pull her arms from around me to grab her LEFT hand I realize that the gorgeous ring now gracing it means Dustin finally popped the question. YAY! Also being a normal girl I start shrieking and hugging her which draws just the crowd Bekah needs to get the full recognition that she needs right then. Which is somewhat ironic considering last Sunday night we played a giant prank on the whole floor by finding Bekah a fake ring to wear. Ahhh the irony. Anyway, the next hour consists of hearing the entire story and her dragging me around as she tells everyone. When dorm-lock finally arrives and we can't go anywhere it continues to be a crazy evening. I'll leave it to simply saying that any guys out there have no idea what goes on in girls dorms, and trust me, you don't wanna know. If you think you guys get wild and crazy, well so do we, and we have higher pitched voices. To add to the cacophony, we have around 20 or 30 people visiting the college from PA last night, today, and tomorrow. All high-school juniors and seniors with their chaperones. Needless to say, it was the craziest night in the girls dorm yet by far, and these poor high-school students are wondering "where in the world are these 'good Christian girls' from?". It was great fun however.

All of that to say this, one of my closest friends here at school is now engaged. Yes, I notice a pattern here. Minus a few very wonderful exceptions, a great bulk of my close friends are either engaged, married, having kids, or very close to one these. It does make me stop and wonder sometimes, but for now I simply thank God that I have the opportunity to observe and learn from their experiences. The analyzing stops there though. Yes, it does.

I would also like to say that it's been a very, very, very long time since I had such a crazy fun time. And you know what? It felt good. To simply let the cares of this world, the issues with people, the hurts, the pains, even the good things just disappear and have fun? It was great! And all without alcohol I would just like to say. It should prove to anyone who doesn't believe you can have crazy fun without being intoxicated that you can. I'm not sure where that came from, but take it as a bonus side-note. A free-be from the mind of Beth.

And so that's it. I have a post in my head to follow up on what I said about Hope on Saturday, but for now it's going to stay in my head. I have a paper to write for tomorrow and one for Thursday as well. I have plenty of reading to do along with those papers. As much as I like to read part of me can't wait to be done with the freshman and sophmore classes that require so much reading. But then I realize how much I learn by reading and feel guilty for not always enjoying it. One great thought is that technically next semester I'll be a junior. I'm still going to be in school for another 3 years, but at least I'll get to spend 2 of those as a senior. Which basically means I'll get to stay up until 1pm as much as I want, as well as park in the front lot. Not a whole lot of perks, but who am I to complain?

Alright, enough procrastinating, I'm going to go check my mail then do my homework. Wait, that is procrastinating. :-)

No comments: