Sunday, September 12, 2004

Blues Star Stuck In Traffic

I'm sure you all know that yesterday was September 11th. It would have seemed appropriate to have some sentimental or profound thoughts to share about the day. I have none worth sorting through at this time. I had many thoughts, many topics, many frustrations, and many tears, but for the time they will stay buried in the recesses of my mind.

Also, I was in Alexandria all day yesterday. Last night as I left I gave Jeff and Anna a hug, and as I drove away I prayed for them, for safety traveling to Turkey, for a huge ministry there, and most of all, that the people of Turkey would come to love them as much as we do here. I also felt a tinge of envy, a ache of sadness, and a tug to simply ditch school and do what they're doing. But as I start to dig into my homework I remember that I need to learn, and I have so much learning to do.

Katie and G went home this weekend and brought back their guitars. Neither one can play very much at all but they're willing to learn. I teased G that it was appropriate that she learn to play seeing as one of the strings and chords is a "G". She didn't get the joke. I thought it was funny. :) Then again I amuse myself more often than others. :) Anyway, I picked up G's guitar and attempted to tune it a little better for her. It's not perfect, but it's better than it was. I suddenly had a great memory of Shar-a-thon at KBHW one night and Bruce teaching me the blues. I picked out the 3 chords just now and had to laugh. It's a great memory from this summer, and one that makes me laugh. I remember Gene's bass voice singing the blues and I have to laugh. Ahh, good times.
G laughed at my blues attempt. Hey, whatever I can do to keep people smiling. :-D

Andy showed me around the T.V. station that employs him in Alec. Maybe a better way to say that is the station that he keeps running. ;-) It's definitely much more complicated than radio, but some of it was familiar. It made me miss pushing buttons and keeping it live. It also makes me want to learn about T.V., but that'll have to wait.
Meanwhile I had a great note from Charity when I got back late last night. She's a deaf student and I had written her a note asking her to help me learn sign language because I want to be able to talk to her. She's willing to help and is excited to become friends. It's so neat to me, and a blessing I hadn't even anticipated. Now I simply pray for a quick mind, and even quicker fingers. Charity was teaching me the alphabet on Friday, and we'll just say that my fingers aren't very flexible. There were only small amounts of laughter at the table as Sarah reached over about 15 times to fix my fingers.

That's about it for now, except to say traffic on the way to Alec was a nightmare. What should have been a 3 hour drive quickly turned into 4 and a half hours. It was better last night, it was only 3 hours back. But I have a huge praise. I was listening to traffic in the cities, and literally about 5 minutes after I driven through a particular section of I-94, I heard the news of a huge accident there and the traffic was backed up for over a mile. I just thank the Lord that He protected me from being the accident, and from getting stuck in the traffic for hours. And so, another adventure comes to a close, and now, for the dangers of my homework...blech, I'm going to go eat lunch.

No comments: