Wednesday, August 04, 2004

When Big Brother Grows Up

My older brother Caleb is now engaged. He proposed (rather romantically I might add) Sunday afternoon, and she said yes. Annette is my now soon to be sister-in-law.
I would like to say right off the bat, congradulations to them both.
With that said, I have generally been feeling rather non-committal about the whole thing. There are complicated issues involved, and some parental issues as well, but in general I'm just happy for them, and trying to keep my nose out of it.

But it was pointed out to me today that when they get married, which could be rather soon, that I would have a sister-in-law, and because Annette has a little boy, I would be a aunt of sorts. Like I said, I have been rather non-committed about the whole thing, but when this was pointed out to me, I realized that life has officially progressed another step. My life has grown up a little if you will. And along with it, my brother.

It's a very strange feeling, this growing up. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get used to it. I see 50 something's everyday who still have not adjusted, which doesn't give me much hope. Then I see rather normal 20 or 30 somethings who have adjusted quite well in fact.

In all honesty, I still had this childhood thought that I would get married before my brother. Granted, He and Annette have been together for quite some time, so I had preparation time. It was quite obvious they were going to get married, but still, I think I lack some quality of adjustment.
I'm not jealous, I have too much life ahead of me for that. I am thrilled for them in fact. They both deserve happiness.
No, I think in a rather selfish way, Big brother growing up brings home the fact that Beth is/better too.
Just another reminder from the Lord that our days truly are like the wind, and will soon be gone.

Until that day, I'll continue to stay young at heart. I'll embrace my inner-child by climbing trees, blowing bubbles, and reading the comics. I'll also embrace growing up, because that has it's benefits as well. I love being an adult in many boring ways. I love the fact that I can get a ticket without being in danger of losing my liscence (I haven't attained this yet), I love the fact that I can donate blood, can vote, can well, that's all I can think of right now.

But really, the things I love about growing up are also the things I hate. I love meeting new friends, and growing to love them, but I hate saying good-bye. I love moving and the adventure behind the unknown, but I hate the fear of the unknown that comes along for the ride.

Therefore, I will only boldy stand with Christ as my rock and focus, cherish my past, embrace my future, and plan to cry at my big brother's wedding. And possibly fend off other feverous females to catch the bouquet.
Until then, I will simply continue to dread unpacking to pack for school.


No comments: