Saturday, August 07, 2004

Oofda

If I was whatever nationality that says "Oy Vay", or however you spell it, I would say it. But since I'm simply a simple Minnesotan gal, I shall resort to the ever useful, Oofda, or however you spell that as well.
If you don't know what Oofda means, I don't think I can help you.

Yesterday was such a wonderful Friday.
I went to bed before 11pm last night, which for me felt wonderful. I went to sleep thanking God for being so wonderful, for good friends, good times, and for being so wonderful. I felt so content and realized that I had had a relaxing day without thinking, ok this is my one day off, I have to relax. No, instead I tried to spend the day for somebody else, and ended up so blessed myself. As I drifted off to sleep I was thinking "Wow, I'm going to get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep, and I'll wake up feeling even better."

Instead, I woke up more tired than I had been when I went to bed. But alas, it was already 6:28am and I had but 12 minutes to get myself out the door to go clean cabins. All was well and I had toast in hand at 6:37 ready to leave, until I couldn't find my car keys. I spent the next 7 feverish minutes looking anywhere I could think of.
I don't normally lose my car keys amazingly enough. Well, at least not at home. They're always either in my purse or hanging up. I found my keys at 6:44, one minute before I was supposed to be meeting everyone at Jenn's which is 5 or 6 miles away. And yes, I found my keys in the bathroom. Don't ask me why they were there, I have no idea.
So anyway, fast forward to 1:15pm when I pull back into the driveway thinking how good a nap will feel. I eat a little lunch, and at around 2 walk down to get the mail. On the way back up the driveway what do my eyes behold but a cow giving birth to her calf. Now understand that I live on a farm in the summer, so this isn't a great big occurance. Except the fact that my parents are both out of town and I'm all alone. Now I'm a tough farm girl, but I'm also at this point a very tired Beth. I wish more for someone to hug me and let me cry than I do for a cow giving birth.
Instead I call up my parents (thank you Lord, for cell phones) and find out which other farmer to call to come help. A long story short, if he hadn't come pulled the calf both the cow and calf would have died, and I would have been the only one home.
Somewhere in that afternoon I managed to pull out 2-20 minutes naps, but both were interrupted by the phone ringing, and neither were restful at all. I woke from the second one feeling worse by the minutes.

However work awaits me at Bait 'N Bite, and I shan't be late. I speed off towards work just shaking my head and saying, "ok God, I don't get it, but whatever".

I often wonder what goes through people's minds when they tip. I know what I think, but I'm biased by being a waitress and knowing what they go through.
Some days when I seem really crabby and don't think I'm being helpful at all, I get huge tips. Either somebody's trying to cheer me up, or I'm a better waitress than I thought. And on the days when I go over and above the call of duty, I get stiffed. Either everybody else is a better waitress, or the world is screwed up. In general though, I don't think we as a society tip very well. Maybe I'm just saying that 'cause I have to eat off of other people's generosity.

So now I'm home and thinking how good my bed will feel. I'm not going to fall into the old "Oh I'll get 8 hours and feel great" trap again though. No, I head off to my bed in full knowledge of the rest of the weekend I have ahead of me, and the week that lies after that.
I'm incredibly jealous of Ben being down in Alec (Alexandria) right now. For all of you in Alec, I wish I could have skipped work and rode along. I miss you a whole lot right now. You have blessed my life in so many ways. I learned so many wonderful lessons there last year. I grew in ways that were unimaginable at a time. God used all of you to bring me so far. I love you all, and hope to be able to come soon. Maybe within 2 months I can come mix your lives up with my prescence once again. Although I'd love to see Jeff and Anna before they take off for Turkey. I love the fact that you guys are going to Turkey. That's such a huge God-Thing. And tonight, as I sit in my house on the farm, in a small town surrounded by more small towns, I'm jealous of the adventure you're about to partake of. But I see my "great adventure" too. While a little less exciting, and much less traveling involved, it's my own adventure/mystery. I'll do my best to live it, and keep you all up to date.

I feel the need to add a postscript and simply say that I love getting flowers, even from my mom. My mother came home with a Yellow Rose for me, which next to Daffodils are my favorite. Just to make me feel special. And so I choose to feel special. But hey, if you want to send Daffodils, I'm not objecting either. :)

No comments: