Monday, August 30, 2004

Gut-Level Reaction: YIPEE!

Well, my first "day" of classes is behind me. Actually, the day is far from over, but my classes for the day are. My gut-level reaction at this point to what lies ahead of me:
YIPEE!!!!

Seriously, I am so pumped. I didn't mean to leave the weekend sounding so depressed Friday evening, but I had nothing more to add until yesterday, and then I was having to much fun to sit down and update. Saturday was pretty much a repeat of Friday. I went to the alumni soccer game by myself, and pretty much spent the day like that. I talked to a couple people, but I really didn't know anybody, and those I did know had gone home for the weekend.
Sunday was a different story, Praise the Lord. I almost got lost trying to get to church, and then trying to find the right Sunday School class, but all that turned out just fine. I sat with girls from school in church, and after church there was a carry-in (potluck) dinner so we all got to talk. I finally spoke up and was myself, which meant I had a great time. I spent the entire afternoon with Katie and "G" (short for Gianni, yep she's Italian, and tons of fun.) among others. We hung out, played cards (amazingly enough, we're allowed to have playing cards here, I was shocked.)(And the guys cheated like crazy), played in the rain, and just generally had tons of fun. But if I here "Hey Baby, How you doin'?" one more time, I might have to tackle "G". So yes, I am going to make it. It took some time, and I'm still meeting people, but I definitely feel much more comfortable.

"Thanks God, you're pretty awesome. Yes, I was more than beginning to doubt that I was supposed to be here, but you're always faithful. Thank you for teaching me lessons I needed to learn, and then for providing. I'm sorry for doubting you, and help me not to again. Let me trust you even when things don't become clear, and I don't get what I want."

I had plans to meet G and Katie for breakfast at 7:40 this morning, 'cause we all had classes that started at 8:30. Well, I was awakened to G pounding on my door at 7:45am. Because of a huge storm last night, not feeling the best (don't worry, girl stuff), and just generally not sleeping between 3 and 5am, I had missed my alarm. So no shower for Beth. But after classes, I'm now freshly showered and feel much better. Don't worry, I think it's hilarious. What a way to start my college career here at Pillsbury. It's a great story that I'll be able to tell freshmen for years to come. :-) So that made for a funny start to my day, but don't worry, it's been a great day thus far.

So back to my reason for the YIPPEE!. This morning I had Old Testament Introduction, Introduction to Counseling, and History of Civilization 1. Doesn't sound real exciting, I know, but trust me, I'm pumped. They're all three going to be lots of work, Intro to Counseling alone is going to have at least 1000 pages of reading involved, but I'm excited. This is stuff I've been waiting my whole life to study, well at least the past 6 or 8 years or so, and it's finally happening. Even the history class is going to be great, 'cause we're starting at the beginning. I never felt like I learned enough about the ancient world, and even though it'll be a fast overview, I'll finally get to learn about Socrates, Charlamange, (bad spelling I know) Atilla the Hun, etc... And all from a Biblical viewpoint. Learning how history affects our lives as Christians today is awesome to me. I almost majored in Counseling, so to get the chance to take some counseling as electives is just...for a lack of a better word, awesome. Intro to the O.T. is going to involve lots of reading as well, but that's ok too. I have to read the whole Old Testament as well as our textbook, and it'll be the same for the New Testament next semester, but that's awesome. I've been wanting to actually go through the whole thing for a while now, and just haven't done it.

Yes, I'm going to have to be disciplined with my time, but how great to be in such a wonderful place studying the things I love? I guess I really just never thought that I would enjoy the classes I was taking this much. I've done this much work before, but not for something I enjoy and want to learn about. In short, I could cry because I'm so joyful. God never, ever ceases to amaze me.
And I still have 4 more classes to start tomorrow! Including my lone photography course for this semester. It proves to only be getting better. Yes, I could feel overwhelmed, but I won't. I'm going to keep on being joyful.

And so, I leave you to go do laundry with my new friend G. After that, it's already time to hit the books, but that only makes me so thankful that God is so faithful, and that I'm here. I can finally say it's far better than I could have hoped for. Thanks for all your prayers, and please keep it up, I still need them. I know I'll come down off this high soon, but I pray I'm still thankful to be here learning these great things.

No comments: