Monday, August 30, 2004

Tattoos, Piercings, Commercials, and Other No-Nos

So apparently now that I'm in a much more joyful mood all of my creativity is coming back. If you don't think this is creative, well, you're probably right. So this could very well just be the second of many posts today. Anyway, wait, before I begin I would just like to say that yes, reality has hit, and I do know how much work I have to do, but I'm still ok with that. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled blog.

Anway, I was told a while ago that I would look cute with a nose ring. I've always thought that anything other than having your ears pierced was pretty unnecessary and nasty. I was in the process of changing my mind until I read and thought about this fact. When I'm 70 and have more wrinkles than a bulldog being blow dried, I don't think I'm going to want a tattoo even on an invisible part of my body. And when my own kids are old enough to ask why Mommy has a hole in her nose, do I really want to explain it? Therefore I choose to be content with my four ear piercings. Two in each ear thank you. All in my ear lobe per Pillsbury regulations. That brings me to my other similar topic.

At the girls' dorm meeting Thursday night our Dean of Women, Mrs. Drexler, bless her heart made the comment that unless we already had a tattoo which we had gotten while unsaved or not walking with the Lord, we could not go out and get a tattoo. I had to stop and wonder if I had a tattoo that it was an obvious sign that I wasn't walking with the Lord. I realize this wasn't the point she was trying to make, but it made me stop and wonder. Oh well. So yes, tattoos are out, along with more than two holes in each ear for girls, (none for boys) both of which must be in the ear lobe. Thank goodness I chose not to pierce my cartilage this summer. And yes, we are not allowed to watch commercials. There are very, very, very few television channels which we are allowed to watch, and those that we are we must change the channels during commercials. This makes for T.V. viewing that would drive my mother bonkers 'cause she hates it when my dad and I flip channels between programs.

All of that to say, I'm really not rebelling against the rules. I might not agree with all the rules, but that's ok. I choose to obey them. If you don't like them or don't think you could handle them, that's ok, you don't have to. And I'm certainly glad that I don't want to pierce my nose. I do think it would look cute on me, but I can't handle being fourty with a nose ring, or a lot of scar tissue where one used to be. I guess I'll just have to be cute enough on my own without one. Hmmm...

No comments: