Sunday, August 14, 2011

It's Only For A Season

Whoosh...That's the air leaving the house as everyone exits. It's been a bit of a crazy week. The in-laws were here last "weekend" into this week. We had an extra 2-year-old most of the week, which was super fun and crazy. And my parents were visiting this weekend, with another quick drop in from the in-laws today. It didn't seem so crazy when we planned it, but as I look at a week that may just be a tad more "normal" it feels like we've been just so busy.

Having an extra toddler a lot of this week has had me thinking. At times talking about twins seems overwhelming, like the 3/4/5am feedings that could happen. At other times, when they entertained themselves for 15 minutes blowing on the glass door, it makes sense.

The lesson? In every situation, hardship, life cycle, tantrum, teething, sleep-deprived moment, I need to remember this:

IT'S ONLY FOR A SEASON.

There's a cute new 3 1/2 week old bundle in this world. Her Momma is a dear friend to me. Baby weighs less than 7 pounds. Which means 2 more pounds than Levi at birth. Here's the thing. I don't remember. As I hold her little tiny frame, I can't remember exactly how it felt to hold a tiny boy smaller than that. It kind of makes me want to cry. Because all those days/weeks in the hospital, all the wires, all the tubes, the feedings, the sleepless nights, they seemed to be never-ending and all-consuming. And they were, for that season. But it's gone, and I don't know if they'll ever happen again.

I remember when I was pregnant with Levi, wondering who he was and what he'd be like. And today as his 23 pound skinny frame runs around my kitchen and then grabs my legs in a bear hug, I know my boy. It's so fun to get the hugs and kisses and hear "Daddy-a's truck" "Dex, Obie, Car, Noises, Eyes" etc...
But I do wish I could remember his teeny-tiny frame.

So, It's all for a season. When my current day is filled with tantrums and time-outs and spankings (Yes, even those) and toys everywhere and blankies and monkeys and dirt and finding rocks everywhere in my house, I need to remember, this is only a season. And all too soon, I'll miss this crazy toddler season just as I miss the baby season. And for the record, in that up all night baby season, I couldn't wait for this toddler crazy season. It's all about perspective.

So, for those of you who just wish for any child season, know that I'm praying for you. No matter what crazy season we have in Levi's life, I can't thank God enough for the miracle of Levi's life. But that doesn't make the seasons any less difficult. It just makes me thankful for the lessons in them. :)

So for those of you who are parents and will appreciate the humor in this, and for those of you who aren't but will laugh anyway, enjoy this: (But for those who want no complaining about being a parent, don't read.)



No comments: