Monday, August 15, 2011

Grace? Shock? Condemnation?

I "follow" a well-known pastor on Facebook. Almost daily he posts some links to articles and stories of interest. Whether it be funny, ridiculous, spiritual, whatever. Just relevent things. This weekend one of his links was to here. (Click on the word here in previous sentence to go to it.)

It took me a while to make it through this 7 page article. Maybe that's why I didn't freak out. The title is "The two minus one pregnancy". To summarize, it's all about women who have become pregnant with twins, or maybe more, "reducing" their pregnancy size to only one child. In other words, aborting or killing the other babies while pregnant. They were specifically addressing women doing it for social and economic reasons.

Now, I do NOT condone this. But it breaks my heart for more than the obvious "how appalling" reasons. I think I'm past being shocked by sin. Well, that's not true, unfortunately. But I do think as I've grown up in a generation where more and more sin becomes "acceptable", less of it shocks me. So, not only am I not shocked, I come to expect some things. The Bible says as time goes on we will become more and more depraved. Which is how I view this, as depravity of man.

So what about it does break my heart? The poor women. I firmly believe that some of them are simply believing lies from the evil one. That they need more money, cannot handle the craziness, etc. That it's their choice, even if it is a live child. And while some may know the truth of Scripture, and choose to kill the child/children anyway, Most of them are simply believing lies. And so I wanted to cry for them. They may someday feel aches and sorrow. They may not. They may already regret their decisions. Either way, I pray for them. That someday, someone will show them love and grace and they will see their wrongdoing and accept the Grace of God.

And that's really all I can do. I do not see what good me becoming aghast and appalled and hateful will do. Overall, all I can think in summary is this...
Should sin surprise us? Child sacrifice occured in the Old Testament, and obviously children being murdered still occurs. Does any of this surprise our amazing God? No. He still offers grace, and so should we. We don't know their hearts. We can be saddened, disgusted, and mourn, but to show no grace and understanding of depraved hearts and minds is not Biblical.

Grace and Love. I'm so overwhelmed by them.

No comments: