Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Facebook - Your words count.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with some aspects of facebook lately. I love that I can share pictures with friends, and keep in touch with those who live far away fairly easily. But in truth, I could share photos on my blog here. I can write emails to those far away, without everyone else reading about it.

I'm also questioning why we do what we do on Facebook. Do we post photos to share our lives with others? Or do I post them so you'll compliment me on how cute my son is? Do I update my status to be informative? Or to inspire envy and jealousy in you? To be prideful about how productive I was today? How amazing I am? Do I comment on others because I have something valueable to say, or because I want to be noticed and thought of as witty?

All in all, I'm not sure what to do. I've been hurt by people's quick replies and even seemingly "innocent" posts. I've had to struggle with my sin nature because of what their posts stir up in me. Yes, it's my sin, but should I be subjecting myself to the temptation?

I doubt I'll fully delete my account. I may someday, but not quite yet. I did go through and "unfriend" a LOT of people though. Most of whom I just don't talk to anymore. Some who cause me pain, some of whom I may cause pain to if I don't. :) If I deleted you, don't be offended. I may have just gotten delete happy too. You can "refriend" me if you think I made a mistake. Currently I'm down to 127 friends.

There's the other kicker. This word friend. Dictionary.com defines it as:
1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile.

I'd have to say some of the people I'm "friends" with on Facebook do not fall into those categories. They are more like "acquaintences".

A friend is someone whom you have affection or regard, you like them! They will be there when you need them, and not be mean to you. They will not rub their good blessings in the face of your hardships. You can share your entire heart and life with a friend and not receive harshness, only grace.

I think maybe I need to work on being a better friend. In the meantime, Facebook is on probation...After I post pictures of the tremendous fun Levi & I had with some TRUE friends in real life, and facebook. The kind who will pose with the manequins with you.



1 comment:

Marylisa said...

I think you're right on here, kiddo. Sometimes it just needs a rest.