Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Scaling Back A Little

Our Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers arrived yesterday. Let me tell you how excited I am. VERY. They are currently washing their little diaper selves out in preperation for our baby's bottom. Like I've said before, I'm not a "green" person. I'm a thrifty person. Considering you can spend anywhere from $5-$12 a week diapering a baby with disposable diapers, these puppies will pay for themselves looonnngg before Levi's out of diapers. Let alone the next babies that they will hopefully diaper. And the joy of this generation? No pins, no folding. Simply stuff and snap on. (There are kinds that you fold but we're not using those at the moment.) Now, let me say this, I did buy some more disposables today. I had killer stacked coupons for Target and so I stocked up on wipes and some disposables. I figure in case the baby-sitter feels better with them or I get lazy and don't do laundry fast enough. Or those road trips when you don't want to carry around a bag of wet diapers. Coupons leads to my next thought...

Again, as I said, I've been reading some websites/blogs about coupon using and decluttering my house. So, I'm going to scale back. Not only will we be using less diapers, I'm trying to buy less groceries. I'm one of those people who couldn't tell you exactly what's in my "pantry". So tomorrow I think I'm going to drag it all out, sort by meal plan, and eat it up! Then, my plan is to attempt to have a rough meal plan for the week, based on what's on sale, and shop based on that. Granted, you'll have your odds and ends and general staples thrown in, but overall, that's the plan. Now, when I say menu plan, I see you experienced Momma's out there smirking and saying sure, good luck. Let me clarify, my idea of a meal plan is this: Here are 7 meals that I may want to make/do this week. I'll make sure I have the supplies for them and then roughly decide each day what we're eating based on our schedules. That's the plan, we'll see how it goes...any advice?

Next Scaling back idea:
Garage sale. Unfortunately I don't have quite enough junk...ahem,...treasures for my own sale, so I'm on the search for someone to combine with. I'm not ready to part with any baby items, but perhaps they have enough good stuff to draw in a crowd for my ju...treasures...

Also, thinking about selling our coffee table/end tables. They're a set so they should probably go together. All the coffee table does is collect stuff and when Levi starts walking I see it as a head bonking hazard. Plus, when I do need one again, I'd like one with drawers. So my thoughts revolve around selling ours on Craig's list (I personally think they're too nice to sell on a garage sale. They're solid wood, nice style, and we bought them new for quite a bit. So I'd like to get at least 1/2 of what we paid for them.) buying 2 sufficient end tables, and saving someday for a killer coffee table with lots of drawers...or maybe getting an old card catalog to store odds and ends treasures in...just a thought.

This garage sale idea may mean I have to actually sell some of my books. I really am ready to let go. I doubt I'll be writing many more research papers in my life and frankly, I have too many. Books are treasures I've never been able to part with, and now, I think I'm ready.

No comments: