Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My View on the World...






These are literally pictures of what's in my windowsill...my view to the world. I'm going to clean it out tonight. Perhaps even throw away the little toy soldier that's been sitting there for 3 years. We found him in our yard when we moved in. It seemed appropriate to leave him staring at the yard. Now he seems like junk. The baby toy needs sanitizing and the flower needs planting and the vases need washing and the dishsoap should be combined with the fuller bottle and the bowl of dried up paint should be thrown away (Note to new moms: using paint to make handprints/footprints of your baby for a Father's Day card: VERY MESSY...Levi now has paint clothes!). OH, and the rather weird clear and blue item, it's to clean your bike chain. You put some fancy solution in it, snap it to your chain, then (while not riding it) move the peddles on your bike to roll the chain around. I think then you have to relube it or something but that's the basics. I'm actually not sure why it's on my sill...maybe Andy knows..
So that's the view out my window.
I'm on a mission to REALLY declutter our house. We might even sell our coffee table and end tables. Less to dust that way. MIGHT is the key word of course.

My other new view on the world is this. I love working at the 'Bou. But the day had to come when I really feel like I've been gone forever. I used to work 5 days a week. I knew almost all of our regulars and could almost always make their drink before they ordered. Some of you keep us guessing but overall, I was good. I knew that "D" has an adorable granddaughter that he adores. I knew if "ML" forgot to order a cookie for Toddler D I better remind her or meltdown would ensue. I knew if "J" ordered plain coffee she was delivering to the hubby...and so on...
Now, I wait patiently for them to order before I make the drink. Because I have no idea what the knew "normal" might be. And it stings a little that I'm no longer that in tune with my customers/friends. But you know what? I know Levi's sleep habits, I know what he loves to chew on. I know what makes him smile. I know what he prefers I don't eat and pass on to him. I know how to make a lot of different meals for dinner now. I'm learning to make a lot of stuff from scratch. I bought wheat gluten so I could use ALL whole wheat flour in a recipe. I'm going to shampoo my carpets someday soon I hope.
All this is a fine substitute for knowing what someone likes to drink. I know my son and husband so much better and I love my new skills... I'd stay home with my baby anyday...

No comments: