Thursday, December 02, 2010

Retelling: Here We Go Again

It's Thursday. This day started WAY to early a year ago. I woke up at about 4 am I think it was, and immediately knew we were going to the hospital. I called in and told the ER we were coming and thankfully, we only live about 10 blocks away. So off we went. You know you're pregnant when they just wheel you right up to OB and won't even look at you in the ER. The nurses in OB say pregnant women scare the ER staff so they get them there as fast as possible. That made me laugh. :)

When I got to OB they quickly hooked me up to monitors and asked a million questions. Including, do you feel like you're having contractions. Umm No? I don't know, what are they supposed to feel like? So even though it didn't feel like it, I was in fact having a few contractions. So I got a shot that hurt like the dickens to try to stop them. Which it did, but it also made me really wobbly and nauseous. I also got the second shot of steroids to help our baby boy's lungs develop. That one hurts too. ALOT. For a long time. Just so you know. Baby meanwhile was fine. Not showing any signs of distress and just hanging out.

Andy called my dear friend Pati even though it was super early and it shocked me how early she came to see me. We really didn't know what would happen, it was just a wait and see experience. Me, I was feeling disgusting because I hadn't showered in like 36 hours at this point. The day was spent in partial boredom, in sadness over eating the food. :( And trying to explain to everyone that we really didn't know what was going to happen now.
Oh, and trying to ignore the woman in hard labor next door. Apparently since I wasn't really in labor that should be progressing they stuck me in an extra not quite as nice room. Which was connected by the bathroom to the water birthing room. So gallons and gallons of water running and a laboring woman. Great.

By the evening I was such a bore to the nurses that the doctor let me go home. :) Not really but everything again was behaving. So the doctor gave me her cell number and told me to call her no matter the time if ANYTHING changed. I was never so thankful to go home and take a shower. I was disgusting. Really. Out of fear for ruining our bedding and total exhaustion, we slept on the couches. We were exhausted and I felt it deeply. I also felt like this couldn't be over. Impending Doom? I'm not sure. But we tried to sleep. And we did.

For a few hours.

No comments: