Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why Blog?

I do enjoy reading other's blogs. I especially like reading people's that I don't know. Because frankly, then I don't have to be polite and agree or like everything. I can just learn, laugh, enjoy, and leave when I want. A blog that I'm reading now is pretty interesting. The gal is very much more minimalist living. Not too much stuff, just the things that add to our lives, not take away. So that paper pile on my desk? Not so good... She's all about simplifing so you have a home that you enjoy. Which in theory I agree with. Except for those people that becoming simplified takes away from their lives. I know someone who literally said one time, "I can't go do that, I need to organize my closet." Now, I really think that keeping an orderly home is important. I am so far from mastering this that it's not funny, but in general, I'm learning and trying. But I do think that people and our relationships are so much more important than our homes. Now, if my home is a disaster 24/7, and I can't invite people into my home, then my home is a deterrant to my relationships. But above all, people over things. So if I need to dust but someone wants to get coffee, that person comes first.

All this as background to the fact that this gal who's blog I've been reading has just written an e-book all about blogging and how to do it time-efficiently, while making money, from home. Somewhere deep in my heart I'd love to read and follow this book. But then I'd have to buy it ($8 for a book just doesn't fit in our budget lately) and then I'd have to feel guilty for not following it after I read it. I'm not a great one at reading self-help/self-do books. I get bogged down in the details too often and then feel guilty for not accomplishing anything.

So blogging, while I'd love to have a wonderfully interesting blog that hundreds of people read and love to follow that also pays me well, I doubt it will ever happen. I feel as though our life isn't that bloggable, and frankly, I don't know if I care enough to keep it up. I don't blog everyday, because really, I don't share every detail of my life with everyone. I used to love to debate people. Didn't matter the topic, if we could debate it, let's go. Oh, how I've changed. Now, especially being a Momma, I'd be blogging about things like flu shots, vaccines, anti-biotics, going to the gym, being a stay-at-home Momma even when finances say I shouldn't, among other topics. I know from previous experience that all of these topics can start huge debates, especially the vaccines/anti-biotics issue. And you know what? I don't want to debate. I want to trust that most people are praying and seeking God's will in their lives and in their family's life. So if they come to a different conclusion then us, so be it. Let's not divide the few and precious friendships we have by pushing each other away with our opinions. Now, when it comes to Biblical issues that the Bible is very clear on, like Homosexuality and respecting our husbands, I will debate, because I think a clear right and wrong is there. But again, I'm not trying to push others away, but some things are worth standing up for. Like the truth of God's word.

So, I'm keeping my blog simple. Maybe if I garner $8 I'll invest in the e-book and keep my guilt complex in check. And maybe, I'll gather a few more readers to this simple blog. But if I'm going to do that, I need to learn to keep it shorter. Better work on that.

No comments: