Friday, October 15, 2010

Nope, I don't know you

Two recent trips to the grocery store produced (ha, punny) the following encounters:
1st encounter:
Me, wheeling through the store in a quick hurry...
Older lady, but not too old to be cute enough...chasing after me to get a peek at Levi, who is sitting in his seat, sound asleep, in the bottom of the cart, trying to avoid total strangers.
Older lady: "Your daughter sure is cute, let me see her."
Me (with strained smile on my face) "He's actually a boy and I'm in a hurry."
Older Lady: "Oh, well he looks like a girl."

Thank You, next time I'll remember not to dress him in pink and not put a bow in his hair, oh wait... :)

2nd Encounter:
Me, with a list of things to do on a slightly hectic day, again, pushing Levi through the grocery store. This time, with a bottle in his mouth because poor child, he was starving.
About 60 year old lady as she approaches with a very nasty look on her face: "Are you really that busy?"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Lady frowns at bottle and stalks off...
I can only imagine that she assumed I should be at home with my child held closely as I don't dare feed him an inferior bottle. Well, I wasn't, nor will I always be. And frankly, Levi loves bottles and I love accomplishing things that have to be done, like buying food to feed us.

I'm not really as crabby as I sound. I actually thought the 2nd encounter rather hilarious, mostly because it was the first time I had ever fed Levi a bottle in a shopping cart. Oh well, can't win them all.

What I can do is remember that everyone's life is different and everyone's perspective is different. So give everyone a little slack, even the bottle-hating lady. :)

No comments: