Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hope for Today

I've been thinking about Levi's first weeks/months of life lately.
And yes, he's toeing the line a little less and behaving a little more. But we're also praying, really hard. I believe it works. I'm praying to remember I want his heart softened and not just his actions fixed. It begins in the heart.

I've been remembering how different his first few months of life were, since at 36 weeks he was getting ready to come home after 17 days in the hospital, not still growing inside. He was such a peanut. Still is for that matter. Takes after his daddy that one. It's so crazy to me to think of how little and "frail" he was at that age. My 5 pounds of love. And now? He's 23+ pounds of strong will and silliness and craziness and good snuggles and wonderful hugs. And a love for all things outdoors and puppies. If you would have asked me then, as we just prayed that he'd pass his carseat test, if I could picture these days, I would have said No. I hoped for them, but I couldn't see beyond the immediate "let's just get him home" feeling. Or the lack of sleep at night.

We only had hope. Hope that someday we'd have a feisty big boy on our hands. Hope that we'd make it through each day, each feeding. Hope that someday, someday, those days would be just a memory. I remember telling a nurse "Merry Christmas" and her having the next week off. That I wouldn't see her again until New Year's. And then she said "but maybe you won't. Maybe you'll be home" I couldn't fathom it would be possible, and it wasn't, but it was just a few days after that. I simply had hope for each day.

That's my rambling point tonight. We don't need hope for a lifetime, just hope for today and tomorrow. I have hope for Levi to someday be an amazing man of God. I pray for it. But today, today I hope he'll choose to obey and glorify God that way. Today I hope that I'll learn to have grace and train him well.

Psalm 42:11
Why are you cast down, O my soul,and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

What are you hoping for today?

No comments: