Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Love Conquers Fear

Why do we fear? What do we fear? What is fear really?

Just some profound thoughts for your Tuesday. If you thought I had the answers you are now disillusioned. Because, get this now, I am fearful at times. I'm not sure if it's a personality bent or something that comes with age and responsibility. Although I remember as a kid being incredibly fearful of Alice in Wonderland and weird-colored cats. Dude, that movie had issues. I remember being fearful of being kidnapped and of monsters in the dark (Which on a farm wasn't so far off-base. You never knew when a random cow/horse/cat/dog/goat would appear and scare you halfway across the pasture). But somehow, as a child, you knew in general you were being silly. That you could trust Mom & Dad to take care of you as much as possible and Jesus had the rest covered.

Now? As an adult? Mom & Dad may actually still take care of me in some ways, but they're not there in the middle of the night anymore. :) And somehow things to fear become more real and conrete and threatening.

This economy hasn't been all that gracious to anyone. We all worry about the goverment and the money running out. We worry about our jobs, housing, groceries, and in these frigid days, heat bills. We worry about our health and health insurance and dogs eating stupid things and vet bills. We worry about, well, a lot.

But when does worry become fear? And aren't both of them sin? I'll say yes to that one.

There's so much I could say about fear, but I will say this, what I'm learning these days as I'm facing fear head on in so many situations, nd running like a coward at times, God's still there. Last week I had just such a day. A day when fear overwhelmed me and I literally, for the probably the first time in my life, didn't know what to do. I now understand those who say fear can be paralyzing. Because I knew that life must go on, but I was too afraid to let it. And, like He always does, God faithfully reminded me who's got it covered. Specifically with this song on the radio:



And I was overwhelmed by God's immense love and care for me. No, the fear doesn't just dissappear. That requires prayer and trust and fighting the evil one who is the father of lies and fear. But I was overhwelmed by the knowledge that God really does want what is best for me. No, He doesn't enjoy pain and suffering and hurting. He may use it for His glory however. But overall, God wants joy for me. In Him. All the time.

So no matter the fearful thing or situation today, know this: God's still there. He's got this. If you only trust Him with your whole life. His love has fear beat before the battle even begins.

No comments: