Thursday, September 15, 2011

Days Like This

I always have to be careful when I complain about a day. Mostly because complaining is not God-honoring, and because if I say it was "the worst day" I'm forgetting February of 2010. I don't think much can top having your 9lb baby poked with an IV, put on oxygen, and ambulanced to the hospital.

All that being said, Today was not a fun day. It started last night with Levi being up most of the night with a nasty cough and congestion. We rocked, we cuddled, and we tried vainly to sleep. With way too little sleep we were up for good at 7am. I made him an appointment with the Dr. just to get checked out since we were planning on being gone for the weekend. About a half hour before that appointment I was busy in the kitchen and he was playing in his room. Bothering the dog mostly. I heard him start crying and assumed the dog had given up on him and made him mad. But he kept at it so I went to look. (warning for weak stomaches) His mouth/face/hands/bed were covered in blood. NOT GOOD. I rushed him to the bathroom and started wiping to figure out where the blood was coming from. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Ah, mouth. And then I saw his tongue. About halfway back there was a gash that literally made me gag and wonder if his tongue was still attatched. I called the Dr.'s office and they said just keep your appt and we'll check it out. Ok. It finally stopped bleeding and when we finally got to see the Dr. he said since the skin was missing and it was the mouth, no stitches. Ugh. Gross. Seriously nasty gash. I try not to look at his mouth.

By the time we got home around lunchtime (after stopping to buy stain remover) I was ready for the day to be done. I know there will always be crazy ridiculous days, but seriously? Maybe they are for my own benefit, to be reminded when we have "boring" days to appreciate them.

Oh, and the dog had nothing to do with the injury. The best guess I have is Levi was actually trying to crawl over his safety rail into his bed ('cause he's part monkey) and slipped and came down on his chin with his tongue out of his mouth. Dr. said it was definitely his teeth that inflicted the damage. So Dexter's safe to all you who wondered. :)

No comments: