Monday, June 06, 2011

The Second Time Around...

We own a dog. His name is Dexter. He's got lots of energy. :) He's also really spoiled. He needs some serious training. He's a super smart dog and at times we feel as though we're doing him a disservice because he could be such a well-behaved, smart, and enjoyable dog. We do enjoy him, he's just a handful. And we were just lazy about training and making him obey. There's still hope, but for now, he is the dog he is.

Which lately has me thinking about my son. We can't afford to make the same mistakes twice. The dog was just so cute and funny that we often let him get away with stuff. My son is cute and funny, but we try really hard to not let him get away with anything. Because it's not worth it. It may be easier right now to let him do what he wants and not discipline for wrong attitudes and actions, but in truth, if we did that, we would not only be hurting ourselves, but harming him for life. You see, Levi doesn't need to be spoiled. Because we all know those adults who act as if their lives are the most important, and if something comes along to disrupt them, well you better watch out for their tongue at least, if not sharp actions as well. And no, it's not all their parents fault, but come on, teaching your child to trust you and obey you is only for their benefit.

Which makes me think of my own application. We've been trying to explain to Levi about patience. My simple words the other day? "Levi, we need to be patient. That's when we wait without whining." And it hit me. That's me. I do that. I try and try to tell God "okay, whatever your plan is. Whatever you're doing, that's fine. You are good." And then I whine. "But God, I'm really having a hard time here. Don't you see this? Don't you care?" I try to pretend I'm being patient but really, I'm just saying so while I wait to whine.

So as I try to teach my son to be patient and to trust his parents, I need to remember to do the same. To have true patience, and to trust my Daddy. He really is good.

No comments: