Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Sign of Maturity?

I was 14 almost 15 when I got my first checking account and checkbook. I was so excited because it felt like such a big responsibility and sign of adulthood. I had my own job, my own money, and my own checkbook. I thought of the joy I'd get from balancing my checkbook each month. Eagerly anticipating that first statement to show how good my math skills were. Well, that first statement came, and boy, did I have a lot to learn about keeping track of my money.

That was over 10 years ago and now, I either know better, or the checkbook has lost it's allure. After we got married, it was pretty much decided that I would handle the bill-paying/checkbook balancing/money-keeping aspect of our marriage. Andrew always looked at the bills and knew what was going on, I just got the joy of actually doing it. Mostly because it comes a little easier to me than him, and also I had a little more time at home during that time than he did. I didn't mind, it was a challenge and fun to be "grown-up" in that area.
4 years later, I hate, Hate, HATE balancing our checkbook. I'm not sure if it's because they're so little in it or what exactly. But I hate it. And so, ever since I went into the hospital while pregnant with Levi, I haven't done it. That's been like 11 months ago now almost. So really, I need to grow up and balance our checkbook.

But here's a few complaints first:
1. We hardly ever write checks anymore. Debit cards, online bill pay, automatic deductions. All these lead to lost receipts, not printing out payments, and forgetting that that bill was paid automatically.
2. There's never enough money to make it seem positive.

And that's all I'll complain about. Because Andrew has a job and God has blessed us with a roof and food. So I need to be thankful, shut up, and be mature enough to balance that checkbook.

No comments: