Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lots of Pregnant Bellies in One Room

We started Childbirth classes last night. And yes, I know there are tons of people out there who say they are pointless or that you'll either laugh or cringe through the whole thing. But really, I was so excited for them and so relieved to be there. I went through the whole "panic we're actually having a baby" phase a while ago. Now I'm in the "PANIC I HAVE TO GIVE BIRTH TO THIS BABY" Phase...And unfortunately, I don't think it's a phase...

So I've been really, really looking forward to these classes. I'm not expecting to be told tons of new information that I haven't already read or heard. I am expecting to be calmed down a bunch, and for it to open discussion between Andrew and I about what we hope our baby's birth will be like.

So after our first class last night, I am feeling much more assured. Frankly, it was fun just to be around lots of pregnant women!! As the teacher said, look around, these will be the parents of the kids your kid will go to school with. It's fun to realize all our babies will be born so close together, and to not feel as big as a house when I realize how small I am compared to others. Or how big I am, and that we're all normal!! And practicing breathing, I know how to breathe, but it was a great reminder to chill out!! This baby will come no matter what.

Next week we take a tour of the maternity floor and delivery and all that good stuff. And I'm excited again. I really just need to think and process all of this without being overwhelmed. And these classes are helping me do just that.

Now for the funny stories...I know one girl in the class, met her husband, couldn't remember her name or why I know her...oh yeah, Caribou...how else do I know anyone in this town?! I need to pay more attention to my customers. It was a relief to know someone though, and fun to compare bellies! :-)

When I walked into work yesterday, my boss, and good friend, was laughing. I basically ignored this until she came into the back room where I was putting my apron on and said "now don't be offended" and I though uh oh, what did I do? "But you're starting to waddle." And I laughed so hard because she was right, I was waddling because my hips hurt and it was easier to walk that way...I just didn't realize it. That seemed to solitify how far along I actually am. I'm almost 30 weeks for crying out loud!! I keep feeling like I have to defend how far along I am, when really, 3rd trimester baby! We're having this baby soon!! I guess I was used to it since we announced SOOO early that we were pregnant. But it's been fun that way too.

So, 3 more classes to go, then it's Christmastime and then it's a month to kill until baby comes. January's looking pretty long, but I for one am ready for the Holidays this year!

No comments: