Friday, February 12, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

This seems to be my life as a Momma.

I know this title will be so appropriate some day when I'm argueing with Levi over what clothes he can wear, what friends he can see, what movies he can watch, etc...
But right now, it seems so appropriate with my style of mothering.

The losing aspect:

I was determined when we left the NICU not to be a freak out Momma. Yes, Levi was more susceptible to germs, and we were going to be careful, but not recluses either.
And ever since his due date, I've been much less cautious with going out, having people watch him, letting people hold him without making sure they had the flu vaccine, etc...

Well that came back to bite me. Took Levi to the Doctor today, he's been coughing since yesterday and sneezing and generally looking miserable. Figured he had a cold but with preemies you can't be too careful. Did an RSV test, drew blood, chest x-ray, really doctor? All that necessary?! Oh yeah, especially since he has RSV. CRAP.
Seriously?! Where did he get a virus?!

Thankfully, it's not in his lungs, we're not in the hospital, and they sent us home with a nebulizer to help clear him up. We just have to watch him closely, well listen closely, to make sure his breathing/coughing don't get worse. If so, back to the doctor we go. Hopefully not to the hospital. I just pray he'll be okay.

Levi had made the transition a week ago to sleeping in his own crib in his own room. Now with this scare he's back in our room. I like to hear him coughing, breathing, etc...

The Winning aspect is this:

Up to now Levi's been gaining on average an ounce or so a day, which is what they want and really, really good. When we were at the Dr. last week he had gained a pound in 2 weeks. So 16 ounces in 14 days. GREAT! Well, I made the decision last week to stop giving him formula once a day. It was supposed to be extra calories to help with his weight gain. But we hated it and he was so gassy and uncomfortable. Well he's still gassy but that's another story. So at the Doctor's today he weight 18 ounces more than he did a week ago!! So pat on the back for Momma. I'm sure it's just a growth spurt but I like being right in this area. So my 9 pound baby is getting a little chunky finally. Yeah right, chunky he's not.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

So sorry Levi is sick, I hope the little guy gets better fast! Don't beat yourself up for getting out, it's good for both of you to get out and not be holed up at home.
That's great that Levi is gaining weight off of formula!
I love seeing babies' chunky legs with rolls, Josiah never had that when we was little!