Saturday, February 27, 2010

Just Call Me the Gimmick Queen

I like to think of myself as a smart person. I did well in school, did post-secondary, went to college, got pretty great grades, married a great man, (smartest thing I ever did! although I get none of the credit, God does, anyway) etc.

But I'm so prone to gimmicks!!! I don't get suckered in by cheap products or infomercials, but offer me a free reward, and I'm toast.

Take diapers for example. We've been using Pampers since Levi was born because that's what they used in the hospital and we had been able to get free ones for a while from the local Birthright since they had a pallet load of preemie diapers donated and definitely had excess. And Pampers is frankly one of the only diapers that makes preemie diapers. Which Levi was using up to about 3 weeks ago. Anyway, during Levi's most recent stay in the hospital, when we first got there the nurse brought in a pack of diapers for him and asked if I saved the codes. "Codes, what codes?" Apparently there's "gifts to grow" codes on the inside of each diaper pack. You can get some really cool free stuff such as Shutterfly prints/albums and other stuff that I don't remember because I got stuck on the albums. Yeah, I was pretty ticked since I had gone through like 30 packages of preemie diapers already and hadn't seen the codes or read the packages. And they were free diaper so the codes were free!!! UGH!! I was sooo frustrated with myself...so when we got home I investigated this a little further and discovered that not just diapers, oh no, my wipes and such had codes as well...including the 3 packs of refills we had already gone through and the cute little travel packs of wipes they gave us in the hospital...yep codes on the sticky piece you take off to get to the wipes, thrown away...
But, I did still have the codes for the few packages of diapers we still had and the tub of wipes and 2 refills...but still...how many points could I have accumulated?!

So now my dilemma was this: Do you keep buying Pampers just to get the codes?! I of course wanted to do the math to compare the extra cost of "namebrand" diapers to the cost of the prizes.

Here's my conclusion: Cloth Diapers.
Okay kind of kidding, kind of not.
Really, when it comes to disposable diapers, I'm going to buy what works. And we've already found out some that don't work and I still love my Pampers Swaddlers. (I should be getting commission to be pushing their product so hard.) They're so soft and hold a lot while keeping Baby dry. There are some others I'm trying out. Luvs are doing pretty good. When Levi gets into size 1 we've got some of Target's Up&Up brand to try which have gotten good reviews from friends. But unless they are fabulous, I just might stick to my Pampers and keep collecting my codes.

But here's the other math equation for you. They make some pretty cool cloth diapers these days. FuzziBunz really catch my eye. So bigger initial investment, but cheaper overall. No, I did not factor in the cost of washing them, I can't do that kind of math.

So do I shell out $20 every 10 days or invest hundreds to start with? I figured to buy the amount of cloth diapers we need would only take about 162 days to spend that much in disposables....hmmm...we'll have to think about this one.

No comments: