Wednesday, October 28, 2009

God gives us Lemonade

There's a mostly Christian artist named Chris Rice who sings a song "Lemonade" and the chorus goes something like this "Life gave me lemonade and I can't imagine why, born on a sunny day before the clear blue sky, live life without pretending, I'm a sucker for happy endings, thanks for the lemonade..." It's actually a pretty cute love song, but I've always struggled with the "life gave me lemonade" instead of giving God credit for making lemonade out of lemons, I think that's the concept of the lemonade anyway. That's why I say "mostly" Christian artist, because he does a lot of crossover stuff, which I get, you leave the word God out of it and you get more people to listen. Except so many secular country songs talk about God...anyway, I digress.

My whole point being that I feel like I need to make that my heart for today, that there are "lemon moments" in the world, but God has a plan and can use them if I let Him. If for nothing else than to teach me something and bring Him glory, which is a lot.

My "lemons" for today? I managed to roll/sprain my ankle yesterday while walking the dog...thought I was fine until I was at work, and then I hit a point where I could barely walk. Now I've been icing it and keeping it up for the last 14 hours or so, which isn't easy to do while typing...and being frustrated at my clumsiness...
I couldn't make Andy's lunch, I can't play with the dog, I can't walk the dog who's looking at me with huge sad eyes, and I'm just hoping I can make it through six hours of work standing on it. Thank the Lord for ACE bandages! (I'm also leaving out the lemons of having to buy a new curling iron 'cause mine went on the fritz and burning my hip on a cookie sheet...don't ask!)

So I want to feel incredibly sorry for myself, and indeed I do, but somewhere in this I'm sure there's a "Be Still and Know that I Am God" moment...but all I want to do is cry...
Is this the point in pregnancy where I get all emotional? Because I'm feeling it!

I dreamt about our son last night, at age 5 for some odd reason, and he wouldn't tell me "love you mommy"...kind of freaked me out in reality. I think it's because I've had the conference we went to this weekend on my mind. It was "Love and Respect" and I was so moved and convicted about respecting Andy so much better than I do, and acting like it! The speaker's biggest example that stuck out to me was, would you want your son's wife speaking to your baby boy the way you do to your husband? I didn't think about it too much the first time he said it, but then it hit me, we're having a boy, we're having a son! And if I don't teach him how he should be treated by women, with respect and Godliness, he'll 1. resent me, and 2. not have a great marriage... So there's more motivation for building Andy up...not that I needed it, God's good motivation, but this is a biggy too...

So, I'm off to cry a little, and then hope that I can bring some joy into this day for others and enjoy some lemonade!

No comments: