Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Maybe it's time to get ready?

We are now the proud owners of a baby's crib. We picked it up Monday through the help of a state/county grant/aid. Since we were looking at used semi-okay cribs before, I'm so thankful to be able to have a brand new crib! No safety hazards here! We are so blessed to have people who tell us about these things and to be able to use these programs. It's a blow to my pride, but that's okay, my pride probably needs a few more blows. The other good news is that with my reduced work hours due to issues with the baby, we now qualify for WIC, so more help with groceries and the 4 gallons of milk we think we need to ingest every week. I was allergic to milk as a kid and people tell me to be careful how much I drink so as to not inflict the same thing on the baby, but seriously, I can't get enough of the stuff!! Maybe I need more calcium, but I am taking a calcium suppliment in addition to all my other vitamins and the milk. Ahh well...

So with the arrival of the crib I've started thinking about the baby's room. People keep telling me or asking me aobut what stuff we have for the baby and what we need, etc... And really, I have no clue!! We own a swing, got a great used but looks new one at a garage sale this summer. Now we have a crib. We have an assortment of clothes from various garage sale's, mother-in-law, and a dear friend who had a son. I'm sure I need some more eventually, but right now, I do have some clothes. I guess some socks for his feet would be good, but that's what footsie clothes are for right? I guess what I'm saying is that because we found out soooo early that we were pregnant I was really careful to not get overexcited and get super prepared. Now with each punch/kick I'm reminded that this baby is happening and we will need everything people keep asking me about. The thing is, I've never had a baby, so how do I really know and understand what we'll need? Strangely enough my chiropractor has become my salvation. She just had a baby last December and is offering us everything to use from her bassinet to bouncy chair to a book about vaccinations (they freak me out!) to making me a list of "essential" baby items that we'll need. Her sister did that for her and she said it was such a great tool to relax and just get what you would actually use. So that gives me some peace of mind.

And then there's the whole issue of decorating the baby's room and picking out sheet colors and blankets, etc...what theme, what color, I don't know! And really, why rush into it? I know, the baby will be here before I know it, but how about getting a little closer to that actual event before I freak out. I think my issue is mostly that I like to overprepare and get my hopes up about things too soon. If we even talk about taking a trip I'm on the internet looking for a motel and researching everything to do in the area. I'm somewhat obsessive compulsive about some things, so I've tried very hard in the last few years to take a deep breath and slow down and just enjoy the process. Now I'm worried that I've gone to the other extreme and become unprepared.

I really do think that after we get through October possibly November that I'll be more "into" getting ready for this baby. I think I just don't want to end up bored and twiddling my thumbs through all of January. Why not use that month of "nesting" to pass the time more quickly? Just a thought I guess. Andy's so laid back about everything that he's definitely not pressuring me. I think I would feel better if I simply understood everything people ask me or that I had a clue about what we are doing with this baby. So if you ask me questions in the future, just remember I've never had a baby, don't know what I'm doing, and basically, I'm okay with that.

No comments: