Friday, July 09, 2010

It's not about Love...

Have you heard about the Presbyterians decision to not change their definition of marriage to include gay/lesbians? And then today they had protestors at their convention who were arrested/ticketed for trespassing. One lady on the news (who's daughter and son are both homosexuals) was quoted as saying something to the extent that it was awful that the love of Jesus was being squashed and hindered by this decision. That Jesus wouldn't exclude anyone.
Ummm Excuse Me? What about the money changers (Swindlers) in the Temple? I believe He rather violently threw them out of there. I think that's excluding them. What about the fact that Jesus said Homosexuality is a sin? Now, let me say this. I don't think we should be mean/hateful/rude/violent towards homosexual people. I do think it's wrong, that it's sin, and that it is a choice, not a genetic make-up. But I think their sin is just that, sin. Just as my anger or gossip is sin.
So, Jesus says it's sin. He says murder is sin. Guess what? I bet you aren't condoning murderers. I bet you aren't saying if we're loving that we'll just ignore murder and love the murderer. Nope...

So I detest the misquotation of Christ and the misrepresentation of what He says is love. There is nothing unloving about calling sin what it is. In fact, if by me saying that we are all sinners you see your need for Christ and are saved for eternity, then I have just done the most loving thing I could do for you.

A side note about the Presbyterians: While they may have somewhat made this good decision, they have made a horrible one as well. To allow non-celibate homosexuals to serve as pastors/elders/deacons by removing any requirements of sexual orientation from their ordination requirements. Translation: They won't say one way or the other if you can serve as an active homosexual, so go for it.
Now, all the local groups of Presbyterians have to vote on these things still. So really, they could be defeated or passed.
Another note: Delegates also voted 558-119 to adopt a controversial report on the Middle East that had been sharply criticized by American Jews as "anti-Israel." And to chastise Caterpillar Inc. for allowing their machines to be used to build walls to keep Palestine out of Israel. Or the West Bank, or whoever it belongs to. I won't go into that debate, only to say that the Bible says this: You don't stand with Israel, you don't stand. Israel is God's nation, His chosen people, and if we go against them, it's not good.
A note of irony about the Caterpillar issue, The Presbyterian Conference owns $10 million dollars in Caterpillar stock. They voted not to sell it. So isn't that chastising the hand that feeds you? I'm just saying...

So overall, this whole situation saddens me. I cringe when a church which claims Christ as Savior makes such horrible misinterpretations of the Bible. Because that's blaspheming the name of Christ. And they will one day regret that. To let sin reign in their midst is an eternal mistake. May we all be on guard for sin in our midst. Whether it be this issue or another, we must be vigilent to obey Jesus in everything.

No comments: