Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kindred Spirits

I'd like to tell you a story, into which I will insert a few "Anne of Green Gables" quotes, because they are so fitting.

When I was a sophmore/junior at a small Christian College that is actually closed now, second sememster I was roomates with a gal I'll call Sue (Not her real name because we don't keep in touch). Sue had 2 cousins at school as well, Holly and Will (real names because they're good sports). Holly had a roomate named Valerie, who Holly tried to convince was perfect for Will. This part gets a little fuzzy but basically by the end of the year Will and Val were an item. I really enjoyed Holly and tolerated Sue. Sue wasn't thrilled about Will and Val's relationship whatever it might be so that made me wary of Val. Sue and I didn't make the greatest of roomates so that was an issue as well.

All of this to tell you this, the next fall I had changed a lot. I was now engaged to my amazing man and had a little bit better view of the world as a whole, not just my box of college. I was asked in Sept/Oct. by the admissions department if I wanted to go to Illinois to a "Farm Fest" Teen Event to promote the school along with a few other students/admissions folks. I said yes but just about retracted that when I found out Val was going. It wasn't that I didn't like her, we just didn't seem to get along too great and with the whole Sue history it was just messy. But it was only one night and I really enjoyed the other gal and 2 guys going.
To make a long story short it was an absolutely hilarious weekend and I had more fun than I could have imagined. Our friendship was born and cemented all at once. To quote Marilla Cuthbert "I think you may be a kindred spirit after all". I had no idea what I had been missing with Val.

The rest of that school year was amazing. I had a friend whom I could share anything with, plan a wedding with, share ANYTHING with, and frankly just enjoy being around.

Anne at one point says “Kindred Spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. Its splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”

I have found many kindred spirits throughout my life but frankly, Val's one of the best. There's never any distance no matter how far apart we live or how long it's been since we talk. She can always crack me up and I love saying outrageous things to her. Val and Will got married 11 months after Andrew and I. It was a beautiful wedding and I was so glad to be there. The last time I had seen Val was a year ago when we met up for dinner. We had a great time renewing our friendship.

Val was one of the first people I called to tell I was pregnant.
She called me about 2 months later to tell me she was due 6 weeks after I was. My joy in our friendship was huge!! My friend was having a baby too! Through all the ups and downs of pregnancy and our very different deliveries, we shared and griped and laughed and tried not to make each other run for the bathroom.

Val and Will have a beautiful daughter named Kiernan. And I knew I couldn't stay away. So this last weekend I packed Levi up along with way too much stuff and we headed South to see the new little family. And it was all I hoped for and more. We laughed, cried a little (mostly me tearing up), laughed hard at a hilarious movie (well I couldn't laugh too loud, Levi had just fallen asleep!), ate, laughed some more, nursed our babies, laughed at their noises, made a maiden voyage for Val to the mall with the babies, talked about old times and good friends, and frankly, I had a lovely time. It was a dream weekend. As much as it can be with crabby sleepy babies in tow.

There are some rare blessings God has given us. I count Val amoung mine. And the fact that our lives are mirrored in our childrens' births makes it that much better.

Miss Stacy said to Anne once, "True friends are always together in spirit". And that's how I feel about Val, like we're never far apart no matter the distance.

I don't know where life will take us, and I can't promise we'll always be this close. But for now I'll be thankful for this time in our lives. When our Kindred Spirits are close enough to glow when together.

Wow I'm getting poetic.

On a funny note, We looked absolutely ridiculous pushing two strollers around the mall. And another thing, why the heck would children's clothing stores not put their racks far enough apart to get a stroller through?! You'd think that would be catering to the customer for your merchandise but whatever, I'm sure they prefer picking up all the hangers that we dropped on the floor trying to weasel our way through.

No comments: