Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Finding My Courage

I've become a Saleswoman. Well, technically at the 'Bou that's what I do too, but now I'm a "traveling saleswoman". I'm selling books, wonderful, amazing, colorful children's books. I signed up right before Levi got RSV and our whole hospital stay, so that wasn't exactly the best foot to start on. The basis of my business is home shows. Which means calling people and asking them to have a home show.

I hate talking on the phone. If you're a really good friend and I have something funny to tell you, or if you're my husband or Mom, I'm good, otherwise, I get nervous and feel stupid. So this is a huge stretch for me. Especially when I now feel like I've made a million phone calls and haven't booked a show. I don't think I'm that terrific at selling myself. The books can sell themselves if you have a show. It's the getting a show thing that I'm stuck on. I've had a few, and I have a vendor fair and a home show in the cities booked for this month. But I'd sure like to get something in this town, or the near vicinity...

I'm simply trying to help supplement the income that we lost when Levi was born and I've been staying home with him for the most part.
I love the ordering and organizational part of this business, but I just hate the phone.

What I've realized is that I need to believe in my product so much that it doesn't matter if people say no. I believe that at the 'Bou, I'm okay if they say no to the muffin or oatmeal or pound of beans. But I need to implement that in my personal life. I still care a litte too much sometimes what people think. I've gotten tons better and I can really say I don't care what people think. But then that little monster of fear and doubt creeps in and I do care.

So I'm summoning up my courage and picking up my phone for the million and one time. Maybe this will be my yes...

No comments: