Monday, January 02, 2006

Wedding Plans, 2006, and Life

January 2nd, 2006.
2006.
This is the year that I'm getting married. If you had asked me last New Year's, I would say there was no way I would be engaged to the man of my dreams next year. I didn't even know what he would be like. And now, this is the year I get to marry him.

I'm home for Christmas break through the rest of this week. It's been really good to be home for 3 whole weeks, but they have been some very fast weeks. Last year Christmas break dragged on, this year, it's flown by. It was awesome to have Andy around for five days last week. I get to see him again this week, but it's pretty amazing how all I want is to spend every day with him.

My extra attention over the past 2 weeks has been taken up with wedding plans and all that goes with it. I admit though, I'm really bad at this whole wedding planning thing. I'm getting my act together, but frankly, the problem is that I feel like I'm in over my head and very overwhelmed by the whole thing. Somehow, even though I've said time and again that it wasn't true, I feel like everything has to be perfect and I have to please everyone. Thanks to a conversation with one of my good friends on Saturday, I think I've got my head on straight again. Stuff doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for me. Not even perfect though, it just needs to be the way I want it. Not in a selfish all-consuming way, but in a way that is practical but fulfills my dreams as well. In reality, if I could have my way, I would just get to show up at the church all ready to go and walk down the aisle to marry the man of my dreams. I really don't want to elope, I do want to have a wonderful and special wedding, I just want everyone else to have to do the work for me. I know, that is selfish. :-) The thing that keeps me excited about all this is that it will make me Andrew's wife. That's definitely a goal worth pursueing.

And so this is life. And it's going to change more with every passing day, but that's okay, for the most part these are exciting changes. It's an interesting process, getting ready to join your life with someone elses. It's more than just wedding plans and apartments, etc. It's about joining two hearts, souls, minds, and lives with each other. It leaves me in awe of God's perfect plan. God was the one who said "It is not good for man to be alone", and I for one am very glad that it is so. One of the songs we will be having sung at our wedding is "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris, and it's so true, how beautiful is the love for each other, but how much more beautiful is the love Christ has for us.

And so, as 2006, this wonderful year, gets underway and I bury myself in wedding plans and more homework soon, I find myself thankful for this life, and for the man that I get to share it with very soon.

No comments: