Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Food: Friend or Foe?

I've decided that I need to be posting more regularly, like back when I first started this blog over a year ago. So that requires less serious topics at times, which those of you who have been gagging at all my emotional touchy-feely stuff lately will hopefully appreciate. Although I don't think that many of you are well, many in number. So now I'm rambling. On to today's thought.

It's rather silly really, but food has been on my mind a lot lately. Being a college student tends to get you the stereotype of always being hungry. I have one explanation for that, and I won't expound to point of insult, dining hall food. It leaves a lot to be desired. Since I've started working some evenings that require I miss dinner the dining hall is kind enough to pack me a sack lunch of my request for dinner. I get the feeling I'll be getting sick of Peanut Butter and Jelly by the time this semester is over. I hope our finances are such that Andy and I will have a few more choices than that, or I might go nutty (pun intended). I will admit that I'm rather bitter about my college not offering a meal plan. It's all or nothing here, and frankly, some days I'd rather have nothing. It would certainly be nice to only pay for say 10-15 meals a week and be able to cook in my room or elsewhere for the others. But if I do that now I feel guilty because I'm paying for food that I technically already paid for in the dining hall. I feel the same guilt when I don't make it to breakfast before class in the morning. Like somehow I've shorted myself and haven't gotten my money's worth.

As poor of a cook as I am (well actually it's just lack of experience) I do look forward to having our own home (apartment/home same thing) and cooking dinner most nights. Thankfully Andy is a great cook and a patient man when it comes to my cooking. I just need more experience and time to know what I'm doing. I don't cook bad things, I'm just limited as to what I know how to cook. 5 months from now we'll have been married for 3 weeks and hopefully neither one of us will be malnourished. Yes, Andy's a good cook so I could just let him cook, but something inside me, the nurturer and wife I guess, wants to do the cooking. We'll see if I still feel that after many trial and error meals.

There's also the issue of my eating habits. They vary quite a bit from Andy's. Yes, His are better. I will shamefully admit to being a picky eater, but I am trying to get better. Andy is ever encouraging me to try more things, and for him, well I'm working on it.
I've given myself a time frame of before we have our first child I need to be eating healthier and eating a larger variety of foods. That's my goal anyway. And like most things in life, it just takes doing. Which reminds me, I should go finish my homework.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

College food for me was either pay-per-meal cafeteria food or a variety of fast food choices (pizza hut, taco bell, subs, burgers)

I see you're counting the days. Must be a girl thing. Keturah reminded me that in two months, we will have been married 5 years.

Now Andrew being the experienced cook is something I didn't know! It's the opposite for us: Keturah is master chef, and I'm good with toasting bagels, and I even burn those sometimes. I like it that way, and purposely keep my kitchen knowledge limited. (If you are both the same, one of you is Unnesessary--that might be Dr. Dobson) I think Andrew will appreciate you serving him after you're married. He can practice his patience as you learn.

Now as far as picky eating, I am definitely the picky one. I've eaten a lot of new foods these past 5 years, but like I've told my wife "Make what you want, but if you want to make me happy, make what I like". Therefore, we wat a lot of "comfort foods" (hamburgers, pizza, steak & potatos, spaghetti, etc.).
We've come to one agreement, though. We both won't eat Cow tounge or tripe.

Have a good weekend.