Tuesday, December 15, 2009

3 Days and Counting...

So today the doctor set an official date and time for our c-section.
Friday, December 18th at 1pm is the designated time for our son to enter the world.
Of course, things could change and we could have him sooner...it's such a rollar coaster on that front in our lives. But that's the latest we'll meet our son. Which is good news, because it was supposed to be Saturday, because that was the official 34 week mark. But they'd prefer to do a c-section on a weekday when there's more staff around and at that point he's just hours shy of being 34 weeks. Which is close enough in the doctor's mind. Mine too because that cuts a day off the bedrest and an extra day with my son...

I can't tell you how excited and terrified I am to meet our son. It occured to me today to wonder if he'll be as handsome as his dad. I hope he's a spitting image of Andy personally. Although having my chubby cheeks might be expected. If he has any chubbiness to him, which being premature he might not. Someone at Caribou said they hope he has my eyes. Which I understand, that's what I get complimented on. But really, I love Andrew's eyes so much so a big part of me hopes he has Andrew's eyes.
The very fact that I'm thinking about these things is exciting. We'll be meeting our son in less than 72 hours!!!

Then there's the terrified part that isn't sure of what to expect. There's so many unknowns when you have a preemie baby. He could do amazingly fine and we'd miraculously be home by Christmas...which would be a miracle. Or every possible unfortunate scenario could happen and he could be here for months...we just don't know. I like to think he'll be at least reasonably healthy and that we'll be relaxed about the extra challenges of having a preemie. We're not in general overly worried or obsessive people. Hopefully that will carry over with our son. Although then I worry we'll be too laid back. Ugh...stop thinking about it.

All this to say, we won't know until he's here. And so, Friday is the much anticipated arrival date for Baby Boy Preston. I can't wait to celebrate our son's official Birthday. And celebrate we will, no matter how healthy he is or isn't. Because he's our son, and he'll be entering the world by God's Grace. And that's reason to celebrate.

No comments: